Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Feast!

Today I worked my booty off to make an Easter feast for the family (M's side). I admit it was only 99.5% vegan...the Quorn Turk'y Roast I bought has a little bit of egg in it (I noticed too late...still learning to closely read labels!!).

And after a brief dilemma in the freezer aisle, I decided to go ahead and keep up my family tradition of making canned fruit salad with non-dairy whipped topping (which contains a small amount of sodium caseinate, a milk derivative). I felt like I've given up so much of the food I grew up with, I think I can give myself allowance 2 or 3 times a year to buy a crap (non)food product that has a tiny bit of milk derivative. In the name of avoiding obnoxious militancy; as well as maintaining tradition and conscious hypocrisy.


So, confessions aside. What was on the menu? (from left to right)

 --summer squash and tomatoes with cheesy pine nuts, take two (twice the topping was just the ticket! YUM.)
--Quorn turk'y roast with homemade vegan mushroom gravy (recipe from Whole Foods, HIGHLY recommended! (Click for recipe.)
--honey roasted whole carrots (thanks, Brooke!)
--lavender roasted purple potatoes



*Not pictured above: the red-headed stepchild of the meal --fruit "salad" (see left, below. Yeah, it's a family/Lutheran grandma thing.)

 And for good measure, a glamour shot of just the pretty lavender roasted purple potatoes with purple onions. I take eating the rainbow as seriously as wearing the rainbow. Recipe from Color Me Vegan! (Of course.)


It was all really delicious. I love cooking so much.

1 comment:

  1. As a lucky recipient of Mandy's cooking today, I can attest to how wonderful it all was (including the pineapple fried rice with raisins and cashews that she made us for lunch!).
    Elise

    ReplyDelete